Senior curator at the Public Institution Jasenovac Memorial
- My organization:
The Jasenovac Memorial was established in 1968 on the spot of the biggest and most notorious death camp of the Ustaša – Jasenovac concentration camp. The Stone Flower memorial, the Memorial Museum and the Educational Center are parts of the memorial complex.
- Examples of concrete activities I have organized/am organizing in the field of “dealing with the past”:
- In 2006, a new permanent museum exhibition and an educational centre have been established within the Jasenovac Memorial with the aim of educating students (elementary, high school and university) through an educational program which was synchronized with the programs of the Croatian Institute for History and the Agency for Education
- In 2009, the Jasenovac Memorial was included as a coordinator for Croatia in the Saffron project organized by the Holocaust Education Trust in Ireland. On this occasion we gathered 64 elementary and high schools from Croatia which were involved in planting yellow saffron in the memory of a million-and-a-half Jewish children who suffered during the Holocaust.
- In 2005 the cooperation with Yad Vasheem in Jerusalem was strengthened and each year a number of teachers are traveling there for a training session
- Concrete challenges I am facing in my “dealing with the past”-related work:
- Education of young people
- Denial and relativization of Jasenovac and the crimes which were committed there
- The question on the number of victims
- A set of unanswered questions about Jasenovac
- My personal link to/interest for the topic of “dealing with difficult pasts”:
It is both professional and personal. Professional because as a graduated historian and a student of a post-doctoral studies I am interested in the historical facts about the wars in the 20th century, nationalism and the creation of modern nations in these areas with all the problems which derive from that. Private because I live in an area which suffered in the last two wars and because of the fact that I myself suffered stressful situations in my family caused by these wars.